[An-lang] Hawaiian phonetics

Emily Hawkins ehawkins at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:28:52 UTC 2003

Yoram,

I have an answer for #3 and have forwarded the message to others who may
be able to answer #1 better than I could.

Ni'ihau Hawaiian definitely still has the t.  It is quite prevalent as a
replacement for k, but it is also conditioned both by the specific word
and by the presence of more than one k in the word.  The pattern seems to
favor k in the first instance and t in the second as in ketahi 'a, one'
and katou (1st person,pl, incl), makahiti 'year', kute 'cook'  -- but,it
is variable.  Part of the variation may arise from Ni'ihau speakers
interacting with non-Ni'ihau speakers and the written form of Hawaiian,
especially the Bible.

Emily Hawkins ('Ioli'i)
Hawaiian and Indo-Pacific Languages
Univ. of Hawai'i at Manoa