[An-lang] archiving language material

Nicholas Thieberger n.thieberger at linguistics.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 07:07:36 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,

PARADISEC is a project establishing an electronic archive of material
related to cultures of the Pacific and South-East Asian region. A
more detailed discussion of the project can be found at our website
below.

A primary aim of the project is to safely store this data for
researchers. A further aim is to provide citable objects that will be
available into the future for those who are recorded and their
descendants, and for the research community (subject to deposit
conditions).

We are now asking researchers to deposit electronic material with
PARADISEC. This material could include any kind of linguistic or
ethnographic documentation. The kind of material that can be archived
includes but is not limited to:
- Textual data: theses; books; dictionaries; transcripts; texts
- Pictorial data: images; video; film
- Audio data: tapes for digitising; digital versions of audio data
(perhaps from DAT sources)

We are also asking researchers to identify collections of material
that should be digitised for safekeeping, especially old tape
recordings.  For example, we have assessed tape collections held in
the Coombs building at the ANU and are  currently digitising a number
of tapes that were recorded in the1960s.

A deposit form is available on our website
(http://www.paradisec.org.au/PdsCdeposit.rtf)

Please contact me if you need any further information.

Nick Thieberger
Project Manager
PARADISEC
Pacific And Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures
http://www.paradisec.org.au

Project Manager
nickt at paradisec.org.au
Ph 61 (0)3 8344 5185