[An-lang] dialect chains

terrell at fmnh.org terrell at fmnh.org
Sat Jul 26 16:24:47 UTC 2003

Colleagues,

The metaphor of the tree was quietly intentionally borrowed by Charles
Darwin from historical linguistics as a clever ploy to help win
acceptance of his concept of descent with modification by means of
natural selection.

See:  Stephen G. Alter (1999) Darwininism and the Linguistic Image.
Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN: 0801858828

John Edward Terrell, PhD
Field Museum, 1400 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60606
312-665-7822