[An-lang] Suppletive forms of 1sg+2sg personal pronoun clusters

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at umich.edu
Thu Nov 13 02:46:37 UTC 2003

>>From what I learned ages ago from sources I can no longer recall, KITA is
the old DUAL - a remnant of the old pronominal number system; i.e., it
wasn't always simply singular vs. plural.  (Most linguists would have heard
of systems that even have - or had- a TRIAL form.) Given that Tagalog (and
Cebuano and I don't know what other CP languages) make a formal distinction
between 1rst-person INCLUSIVE vs. EXCLUSIVE plural, the notion of the
existence of an earlier DUAL form would not be far-fetched.

Regards, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
              Program Associate, Linguistics
Faculty Associate, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Home Address: 2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI 48103
           Tel/Fax: 734-995-2371