[An-lang] Fwd: Debates in World Archaeology

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 24 22:57:32 UTC 2004

From: “John Edward Terrell” <terrell at fieldmuseum.org>
Date: 25 December 2004 2:09:32 AM
To: <AN-LANG at anu.edu.au>
Subject: Debates in World Archaeology

Dear Colleagues,

On my recent return from Taiwan about a week ago, I discovered that the
journal WORLD ARCHAEOLOGY has delivered their latest issue (December
2004)
on time and as promised.

This journal has been appearing three times a year since it began
decades
ago (this issue is in Vol. 36), but is now to appear on a quarterly
basis,
with the 4th issue each year devoted to short articles debating
significant
issues in world archaeology.

The current first-such-issue of this journal includes the following
articles
that I commissioned especially for this purpose.

John Terrell
New Guinea Research Program
Field Museum of Natural History
1400 South Lake Shore Drive
CHICAGO, IL 60605 USA
Fax: 312-665-7193; Phone: 312-665-7822
__________

World Archaeology, vol. 36, no. 4, December 2004

Papers on the south-west Pacific

Introduction: ’Austronesia’ and the great Austronesian migration
John Edward Terrell -- (page) 586

The ’Express Train from Taiwan to Polynesia’: on the congruence of proxy
lines of evidence
Stephen Oppenheimer -- 591

The ’sleeping giant’ hypothesis and New Guinea’s place in the
prehistory of
Greater Near Oceania
John Edward Terrell -- 601

The roots of agriculture and aboriculture in New Guinea: looking beyond
Austronesian expansion, Neolithic packages and indigenous origins
Tim Denham -- 610

Migration and complexity in Holocene Island Southeast Asia
Katherine Szabo and Sue O’Connor -- 621