[An-lang] On-line comp.dictionaries

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Wed Jul 7 14:24:13 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Mills" <rfmilly at msn.com>
> Dear Colleagues:  3 little requests:
> 1. A friend of mine would like to get access to Bruce Biggs' (1993)
POLLEX: ...
> 2. I would like to get access to the Comparative Austronesian Dictionary
> 3. I seem to have lost/misplaced the URL for this List's Archive....

1.  My understanding is that Prof. Biggs has passed away.
I would suggest tracking down some of those who have
cited POLLEX (including Hans Schmidt, Robin Hooper,
and Anne Di Piazza).

2.  Write to Robert Blust, blust at hawaii.edu .

3.  http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/an-lang.html

  If either (1) or (2) become available, I'd be happy to
write a simple on-line searchable front end.

  I'd also like to bring up a larger issue -- the practice
of citing major resources (like POLLEX) that cannot be
independently inspected or reanalyzed.

  While this custom serves a purpose in the short run
(it encourages scholars to release partially completed
databases), in the long run, it creates exactly the problem
we see here -- of 'zombie' resources persisting in the
literature.  And a reference to a source that cannot be
inspected is not much of a reference at all.

  Perhaps I can make a simple suggestion:  that authors
and editors make a practice of asking that it be understood
that unpublished major citations (ie. not incidental personal
communications) will be subject to release after, say, 10 years.

  Good luck,
  Doug Cooper
  http://crcl.th.net/SEALEX   Southeast Asian Lexicography