[An-lang] Javanese NP

william-davies at uiowa.edu william-davies at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 3 18:59:18 UTC 2004

I would like some help with a grammaticality judgment.  In at least 3
theoretical discussions about determiner phrases that I have looked at recently,
the following is cited as a form from Javanese:

ika  n   anak
this the baby

This looks like no Javanese form that I have ever encountered, and the two
friends that I can easily ask confirm this.  However, I'd like to inquire of a
larger group of speakers whether this is, in fact, grammatical and if it means
something along the lines of 'this baby/child'.  Thanks for any assistance.

Bill Davies
Department of Linguistics
Univesity of Iowa