[An-lang] special session at AFLA XII; deadline extension for general session

Kie Zuraw kzuraw at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 03:38:55 UTC 2004

Dear AN-LANG,

A while ago I mentioned the possibility of a special
session on child acquisition of Austronesian languages
at AFLA XII, to be held April 30-May 2, 2005 in Los
Angeles at UCLA.

We have decided to go ahead with the session and I'm
pasting the call below. If you work in the area,
please consider submitting an abstract. (Deadline is
Jan. 15, 2005)

Also, the deadline for the general session has been
extended to Dec. 15, 2004. (I'm pasting the call for
the main session also.)

As noted below, we have applied for funding to pay
travel expenses for participants in the special
session who are coming from institutions in
Austronesian-speaking countries. The idea is to
encourage participation from researchers in those
countries who may not have access to travel funding.

BUT, we don't know yet if we'll be getting any
funding. So, we encourage submissions from both those
who have travel funding and those who would need
funding assistance. We'll let you know as soon as
possible whether we'll be able to provide such
assistance.

Please share this announcement with colleagues who
might be interested.

-Kie Zuraw

----------

CALL FOR PAPERS

SPECIAL SESSION of AFLA XII
The 12th meeting of the Austronesian Formal
Linguistics Association

CHILD ACQUISITION OF AUSTRONESIAN LANGUAGES

UCLA Department of Linguistics
Los Angeles, California, USA
April 30-May 2, 2005

Deadline for receipt of abstracts: Jan 15, 2004

AFLA XII will include a special session on child
acquisition of Austronesian languages, with both
papers and posters. Abstracts are invited for
20-minute talks (plus 10 minutes for discussion), or
for a poster session. Talks and posters may be in any
area of child acquisition of Austronesian languages.

We are especially interested in abstract submissions
from acquisition researchers at institutions in
Austronesian-speaking countries, and encourage such
researchers to submit an abstract even if they do not
have funding for travel. We are hoping to have some
funding to pay travel costs for participants from
Austronesian-speaking countries, though at this time
we don’t know how much such funding we’ll have, if
any.

ABSTRACT REQUIREMENTS
Submissions to the special session are limited to 1
individual and 1 joint abstract per author. This does
not include submissions to the main session. That is,
you may submit up to 4 abstracts to AFLA XII: 1
individual and 1 joint to the main session, and 1
individual and 1 joint to the special session.

Abstract text should be single-spaced, at least
12-point font, on one page (US Letter or A4) with
1-inch or 2.5-cm margins on all sides. An additional
page for data, figures, and references may be
included. Authors’ names should not appear on
abstracts, but the abstract should include a title.

Abstracts should be submitted by email, as PDF files,
to afla12 at ucla.edu by January 15, 2004. Use the
subject heading ‘special session abstract’ and include
in the body of the email the following information:

-title of the abstract
-author name(s)
-affiliation(s)
-mailing address
-e-mail address
-whether you are willing for the abstract to be
considered as a poster submission
-whether you are willing for the abstract to be
considered as a talk submission
(if both, please state your preference)
-if you are at an institution in an
Austronesian-speaking country, whether you wish to be
considered for travel funding, should such funds be
available

Notification of acceptance will be by February 15,
2005.

----------

CALL FOR PAPERS (general session)

AFLA XII
The 12th meeting of the Austronesian Formal
Linguistics Association

UCLA Department of Linguistics
Los Angeles, California, USA
April 30-May 2, 2005

We are pleased to announce that the UCLA Department of
Linguistics will host the 12th meeting of the
Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association.

Abstracts are invited for 20-minute talks (plus 10
minutes for discussion), or for a poster session.
Talks and posters may be in any area of the formal
linguistics of Austronesian languages.

ABSTRACT REQUIREMENTS
Submissions are limited to 1 individual and 1 joint
abstract per author.

Abstract text should be single-spaced, at least
12-point font, on one page (US Letter or A4) with
1-inch or 2.5-cm margins on all sides. An additional
page for data, figures, and references may be
included. Authors’ names should not appear on
abstracts, but the abstract should include a title.

Abstracts should be submitted by email, as PDF files,
to afla12 at ucla.edu by December 15, 2004. Use the
subject heading ‘abstract’ and include in the body of
the email the following information:

-title of the abstract
-author name(s)
-affiliation(s)
-mailing address
-e-mail address
-area of linguistics (e.g., phonology, semantics…)
-whether you are willing for the abstract to be
considered as a poster submission
-whether you are willing for the abstract to be
considered as a talk submission
(if both, please state your preference)

Notification of acceptance will be by February 1,
2005.

For more information on AFLA XII, please visit
http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/afla12/