[An-lang] UKARG April reminder & 2nd call for May workshop

Bill.Palmer Bill.Palmer at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 09:28:25 UTC 2005

Dear Colleagues

1. Joining UKARG

The UK Austronesian Research Group (UKARG) is a research group devoted to all aspects of Austronesian language and linguistics. It is based in the UK, but is aimed at all Austronesian scholars, particularly those in the UK and Europe. We hold monthly seminars and occasional one day workshops. All are welcome to join. If you would like to join UKARG please email me at bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk <mailto:bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk> .

2. April seminar reminder

The inaugural UKARG seminar will be held this Friday (9 April). The speaker is Dr Bethwyn Evans, University of Manchester. Title: 'Recovering prehistory in the Solomon Islands: a linguistic perspective' (abstract attached). The location is the University of Surrey, room 33MS03 in Building 16 on the campus map at http://portal.surrey.ac.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/GATEWAY/VISITORS/CAMPUSMAP_0.PDF. Details of how to get to the University are at http://portal.surrey.ac.uk/portal/page?_pageid=764,127896&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL.

Coffee will be served at 4pm, with the talk starting at 4.30.

The talk follows a separate international workshop day on Daghestanian lexicology and typology, which UKARG visitors are welcome to attend as well.

Please let me know at bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk <mailto:bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk>  if you will be attending. Feel free to simply turn up, but it would be helpful to know numbers in advance if possible.

3. Second call for May workshop papers

The UKARG one day workshop on Austronesian linguistics will be held at St Catherine's College Oxford on 20 May. Speakers so far include Malcolm Ross (keynote speaker, abstract attached), Peter Austin (SOAS); David Gil (MPI Leipzig), Åshild Næss (University of Oslo); Clodagh Norwood (LaTrobe University); Bill Palmer (University of Surrey); and Nick Thieberger (University of Melbourne/PARADISEC).

If you would like to present a talk at the workshop, please email a title and abstract to bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk <mailto:bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk> , if you have not already done so. The deadline for abstracts is Friday 22 April. Talks will be of about 30 minutes in length, with 10 minutes for questions and discussions. Any topic in Austronesian linguistics will be welcome.

If you would like to attend the workshop without presenting a talk you are very welcome. If possible, please let me know that you will be attending by the end of April.

4. Future seminars

Speakers offering seminar series talks for later in the year so far include Isabelle Bril (LACITO-CNRS Paris), Ulrike Mosel (University of Kiel), and Anthony Grant (Edgehill). Details of future seminars will be publicised in due course.

If you would like to present a seminar in the UKARG series, please email bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk <mailto:bill.palmer at surrey.ac.uk> .

I look forward to seeing you on Friday the 9th in Surrey, and at the May workshop in Oxford.

best wishes

Bill Palmer

Dr Bill Palmer
Research Fellow