Snow in Austronesian languages

Piet Lincoln linc at HAWAII.RR.COM
Mon Aug 22 05:35:10 UTC 2005

Chris,

A few years back, a Bannoni friend wrote from Minnesota /*Naniya, St.
Paul, gharau rorosa keta butsu./*
'Here in St Paul snow is falling'  Later that year, I had to explain to
his brother back in Bougainville what was meant by /*gharau/   *'rain'
/*rorosa/ *'dry'

Hawaiian Dictionaries  have
 /*hau/  *for 'snow'  and 'cold', 'cool', 'frost' ...  from PPN *sau
(Pukui & Elbert 1986:60)
/*hau*/  'snow' 'ice' 'frost' 'dew'     (Andrews 2003: 125)

Piet