[An-lang] broader terms--Filipino/Pilipino

Cena, Resty rcena at epcor.ca
Tue Jun 7 23:07:38 UTC 2005

 <<
Since a number of Northern Philippine languages do have [f], ...

I heard this mentioned before, at a time when I was not interested, but
now I'm curious as to whether they are 'true' fricatives, and the extent
(points of articulation, voicing), and perhaps some explanation why only
(?) in Norther Philippine languages. Would you have some references?
Someone must have collected the sounds of Philippine languages. Perhaps
a [z], a click, or a phonemic tone lurk somewhere in some other
Philippine languages. With [f, v, z, th ...] established as native
sounds in Filipino after all, a whole lot of Alfredos, Valentins,
Zenaidas, Thelmas will feel a new sense of nationalism, I'm sure.

The whole issue, of course, as I pointed out in my earlier email, is the
result of a historical accident. Would that the name donor had been
Queen Isabela. I wouldn't mind saying, "I'm an Isabelan and I speak
Isabelan." Though the sound of "I'm an Imeldan and I speak Imeldan"
doesn't fit well with me -- it makes me feel like my shoes are too
tight.

On a lighter tone, and very out of topic, I think the people and the
place (and now the language) deserve new names, names that would have
emerged had their native aspirations not interrupted, capture the spirit
of 1898, and at the same time names that don't remind everyone of their
colonial heritage (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Resty