Questionnaire: Grammatical Asymmetries in Antonymous Property Words

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Apr 30 19:05:55 UTC 2006

[Apologies for multiple postings]

Dear colleagues,

I am conducting a questionnaire survey whose goal is to seek out
differences in grammatical behaviour within pairs of antonymous property
words, in order to discover possible cross-linguistic universals and
patterns of variation.

I would be very grateful if you could answer this questionnaire for any
interesting language that you are familiar with.  No native speaker
judgments are required, but you should have a good knowledge of the
grammar of the language.

The questionnaire asks you to translate 5 pairs of words into your
language:  'red'/'blue', 'hot'/'cold', 'good'/'bad', 'fast'/'slow',
'strong'/'weak'.  For each pair of words, you are then asked whether the
two words exhibit the SAME or DIFFERENT grammatical behaviour.  I am
particularly interested in cases where one member of the pair is more
verby and the other more nouny.

The questionnaire should take between 5 and 20 minutes to complete,
depending on how interesting and/or complex the language is.

The survey is available online, at the following URLs:

http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/gaapw.html (in html format)

http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/gaapw.pdf (for pdf download)

Please email your responses to me at gil at eva.mpg.de.  I will be
extremely grateful for any responses received.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321
Fax: 49-341-3550119

Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/