Ordering of two clitic pronouns in Tagalog

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Fri Jun 30 10:58:45 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

I'm trying to answer a historiographic question: Leonard Bloomfield's (1917)
_Tagalog tests and grammatical analysis_ is the first work I know of to
report that if there are two clitic pronouns in a Tagalog clause, their
order will be determined by number of syllables (i.e., light before heavy).
I'm wondering if any of the earlier descriptions, perhaps from the
Spanish-occupation period, that reported the same thing.

Best, --Loren Billings

--

Loren A. Billings, Ph.D.
Associate professor of linguistics