Maski Re: [An-lang] lia-makalero

Christopher Sundita csundita at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 7 05:56:13 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Maski (with final stress) means "even if" or "although." Its synonymous with
the Tagalog word "kahit."

Here are a couple of examples:

MASKI na bata pa lang siya, matalino naman talaga!
"Even if he's still young, he's really smart!"

Lalakad ako sa tindahan MASKI umuulan nang malakas.
"I'm going to walk to the store even if it's raining hard."

In Spanish, it appears with the word "por" before it with the verb in this
clause in the subjunctive mood. Though, I don't see the construction used much
in that language, however I do see "aunque" used more.  I'm not a native
speaker, but a Spanish translation of my first Tagalog example would be "por
más que sea joven, es muy listo."

--Chris