Sydney Parkinson's Savu list (Waruno Mahdi)

Richard Parker richardparker01 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 1 11:48:22 UTC 2007

Please excuse me, Waruno, if I cherry-pick a couple of bits from your very interesting post:

  "I agree too, that that "Sumatra" list is indeed Chinese as Ross Clark
inferred. Xiamen (formerly known as Amoy) is also referred to as
South Fujian (old spelling: S. Fukien or Fookien), and is a major
source of Chinese loanwords in Jakarta Malay (Betawi). There had
already been a large Chinese community in Jakarta before English and
Dutch "factories" or later the fort Batavia was set up there".

  What is it that makes (in particular) the Fukien, Fookien, Amoy, Xiamen people such wonderful traders?

  Here, in the Philippines, we have 'taipans'
  Lucio Tan - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucio_Tan
and: http://www.converge.org.nz/watchdog/98/11.htm

  Eduardo Cojuangco:
see: http://www.coconutstudio.com/coconut%20bank%20scam.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Cojuangco_Jr.
and dear sweet Corazon Aquino who benefited from the 'Peoples
  Revolution' - Eduardo's cousin

  They're Chinese (specifically Fukien) traders and they run everything everywhere. I even have to buy a new saucepan from Fookien Trading in Surigao.
  I've come across them all over - in Madagascar Fukien Chinese run
  trading stores in the deep forest, and the only restaurants with edible
  food anywhere. In Yemen, they were the ones who made the N-S road that
  crosses something like the Grand Canyon on the way.

  So it isn't so difficult to build up a resentment towards them; as
  Suharto did
"The ethnic Chinese were also targeted, primarily for economic and
  racial reasons. The embassy of the PRC was overrun by demonstrators and
  looted"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukarno

Moderator - if I'm crossing the line, and bringing 'politics' into the
  discussion, then please slam me down

  "Today I at last got an opportunity to drop by at the rare-editions
section of the State Library".
Envy: My nearest 'paper' library is a 5-day sea voyage away.

regards
  Richard