Number Words & Number Systems

Roger Mills rfmilly at MSN.COM
Tue Apr 24 06:26:08 UTC 2007

Richard Parker wrote:
> Nghada and Lio in Flores have zua butu (2-4), and ruambutu (2-4).

Does _(m)butu_ in fact mean '4'? In the Tanimbar lgs. (Fordata vutu, Yamdena
buti, Kei wut) its reflex means '10'. (Forms I assume to be cognate in other
languages of the area--e.g. Tetum, Timorese, Savu, likely Fiji too-- suggest
a basic meaning "bundle".) Thus it's possible the Ngadha and Lio forms are
subtractive, something like 'two/second [from 10]'.

> West Tarangan has Karugwa (4-2), Ujir - karua, Dobel - ?aro, Kola
>   - kaFarua, all in Aru.

I'd strongly hypothesize the same for these; in fact there may be influence
from Bugis as a likely contact language, since AFAIK these are uncommon
constructions in Moluccan languages (many retain reflexes of *walu and
*siwa)-- Bug. aru(w)á '8' (*ka+dua) as well as aserá '9' (*ka+sera, though
_sera_ is not easily relatable to the word for 'one', se?de-- and the final
stress is anomalous in both words).

Otto Chr. Dahl wrote an extensive article on AN numbers ca. 1981 in NUSA; I
believe he also deals with them in one of his books-- though as I recall,
mainly within the Taiwan-PI-Indonesia area. The languages you're looking at
presumably have been influenced by non-AN neighbors or substrates.