New Book from SIL PNG

Richard Parker richardparker01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 12 08:37:15 UTC 2007

I would like to express my personal appreciation
to the authors of the the Emira-Mussau grammar paper
(and to John Bowden for telling us about it)
and to the PNG branch of SIL for making so much useful
language documentation available on the internet,
in one spot (others please follow).

  It's quite difficult to study anything without access
to paper documents, and I've learned a lot from this
particular open source.

  (I'm getting very fed up with Springer Link, Muse,
JStor and so on for making access to their knowledge
almost impossible).
  On the Emira-Mussau grammar paper:
http://www.sil.org/pacific/png/abstract.asp?id=538

  I was particularly interested in their quotation of
number names from 1-8192 (others please follow),
and their discussion of number classifiers (7 prenominal
and 7 postnominal), and puzzled that the Emira-Mussauans
didn't follow the example of nearby (and far-away)
island languages.

  Ere-Lele-Gele'-Kuruti on Manus Island (only some 200
miles from Mussau) has (or had, in the 1940s) 43 separate
postnominal numeral classifiers for different types of objects.
This idiosyncracy is common to most Manus languages, together
with an almost unique subtraction system for numbers 7-9,
and in one case, from 6-9.
http://www.uog.ac.pg/glec/thesis/thesis.htm

Woleai, in Micronesia, miles away from anywhere, in the
Carolines, has 57 postnominal number classifiers, covering
everything from coconuts to testicles.
www.ethnomath.org/resources/sohn1976.pdf
In my amateur analysis of number names and systems, I've been
ignoring prenominal numeral classifiers quoted in number
wordlists, not realising before, at all, that they might
be significant.

  They obviously are.

  I would appreciate any help or information on the following
(possible) prenominal classifier:

  wo-

  Very prevalent in number wordlists from the SW Malukus

  (Kisar - wo'neme = 6, Luang - wo'nema).
  What does it mean?

  This (preposition?) seems to occur first in New Ireland, where
it's attached to a '2' morpheme (iwolo = 6 in Nakanai),
then spreads west to the Admiralties, where it is expressed in
6 = wono, mawono, wonof, wonop, etc.

  In the Papuan Tip An languages, it's doubled up with another
(preposition?):
  Tagula/Sudest - ghewona = 6,
Nimowa ho-woni = 6
but I think these are secondary developments.

  It doesn't appear to get attached to an identifiable 'hand'
morpheme (nim, nem) until around Cenderawasih Bay
(Kawe - wonom)
- but those languages have been messed around by
Tidore slave traders relatively recently.

  Then it seems to occur more obviously in the Malukus
Imroing - 6 = wo'lemu
Masela East - 6 = 'wolem
  or gets dropped altogether
Teun - 'nemu
Dawera-Dawelor -'lem
In most early finger-hand tally systems, there's an obvious
break between counting the fingers of one hand, and then
transferring to the other:

  Bibling - New Britain
5 = elme (hand)
6 = lome kapuk (hand &-one).

  In some PNG An languages, the hand-counting survives
even more obviously:

  In Maisin (An - Huon Gulf)
  5 = faketi tarosi = hand on-the-one-side
  6 = faketi tarosi taure sese
= hand-on-the one side - other-side - one
  And so on:
27 = tamati seseina tamati itere faketi tarosi taure sandi
= man-one DEM man-another hand-one-side other-side two

  In one attic of Austronesian languages, New Caledonia
(and in most of Vanuatu), 6 survives as hand+1
  Tinrin 6 = anoro me sa
Pije 6 = ni-bweec
Nindi - tomusoi
Namakura - lateh

In the other attic, Taiwan, the same construction survives in:
  Saisyat - 6 = sayboshi = aseb (5) ?aha? (1)
  Pazeh 6 = xasebuza? = xaseb (5) and (1)
(but not quite,because their word for 1 is only recorded as ?ida?)

  In Sediq (Taiwan), the word for 6 seems to reflect the New Ireland
Nakanai i-wo-lo (in system if not in name) as materu = hand-ta-2,
where 5 is the familiar 'hand = rima'.

  Somewhere, along the language development chain, some bright spark
put those more cumbersome combinations of words into shorthand:
  wo-'hand - nim, lem' = other hand or 2nd hand, or first-on-the
other-hand, and thus:

  the combination finally developed into the familiar
6 = *enem in Proto-Austronesian
6 = *onom in Proto-Oceanic.

I would also like to thank the late Dr Glendon Lean, whose
work I discovered only 2 weeks ago at:
  http://www.uog.ac.pg/glec/thesis/thesis.htm
  where he analysed Papuan NAN and local An number systems
in great detail.

  I am very grateful to have found his work, done over a quarter-century,
in the jungles, swamps, and fly blown libraries of New Guinea,
and for giving me some very good guidance on how I should
proceed with my own 'work'.

  regards
  Richard Parker
Siargao Island, The Philippines.
  My website at www.coconutstudio.com is about the island and its people,
coastal early humans, fishing, coconuts, bananas and
whatever took my fancy at the time.