Numbers yet again - Re: New Book from SIL PNG

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.Ross at ANU.EDU.AU
Sat Jun 30 06:45:27 UTC 2007

I haven't been following this discussion, but perhaps I can offer
some clarification with regard to comments I have just seen. If I'm
going over previously trodden ground, please excuse me.

> >(Arop Sissano - N New Guinea).
> >This information, that Arop and Sissano only had 1 and 2, is an
> >illegal inference from the fact that only 1, 2 were published in
> >a wordlist in a book by Churchill. That he only listed 1 and 2 is
> >understandable as he was doing a comparative study, and there is
> >no statement there to say that there were only two numbers.

No, Chan has it right. Sissano counts 1, 2, 2_1, 2+2, 2+2+1 (at
least, it did when I collected data from native speakers in the
1970s). Arop and Sissano are dialects of the same language, spoken in
the large village on Sissano Lagoon that was destroyed by a tsunami
some years ago.

> The only data I currently have is from Eugene Chan’s list of
> numbers at http://www.zompist.com/numbers.shtml
> It shows 1 and 2 used for all numbers from 1-10. Chan was careful,
> and didn’t infer or claim numbering sequences that he hadn’t seen
> in authoritative sources. Many of his numbering systems stop, at,
> say, 6.
>
> The related Sera, next door, certainly does have morphemes for 3
> and 5, but similar morphemes for 1 & 2.
>
> >Anyone seeing the actual number morphemes, which are not
> >Austronesian and not obviously cognate with any close Papuan
> > language, in Arop and Sissano would have to ask if they are
> really linear Austronesian descendants!?
>
> They are probably not linear Austronesian descendants!?. Should
> they be?

What is a 'linear Austronesian descendant'? If you mean that these
languages represent continuity from generation to generation, rather
than masses of Austronesian borrowings into a Papuan language, then,
yes, they are clearly Austronesian, but have undergone a striking set
of changes (especially Sera). According to Laycock, if I remember
correctly, speakers of Arop claimed to be descended from Papuan
speakers from somewhere inland (Olo, I think) who had been given
asylum at Sissano and acquired the language, retaining just a few Olo
words.

> The two morphemes, /pontanen/ and /entin/, certainly don’t look
> like conventional An numbers, but they could, just possibly, be An
> hand parts, like finger, or thumb, or even ordinal numbers – first
> and second – where the use of visible hand tallying made the
> voicing of numbers almost redundant. Or they could even be special
> names for counting certain objects. I will need to wait for more
> information, before I get myself into even more illegalities.

As far as I know, these are not inherited Austronesian words. At some
point, shared ancestors of Arop/Sissano and Sera speakers lost the
quinary system of their earlier ancestors and replaced it with a
Papuan-like system. I don't know where the words came from. They
don't crop up elsewhere in wordlists for these languages.

- Malcolm Ross

Malcolm D. Ross
Professor, Department of Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Building No. 9, The Australian National University
CANBERRA A.C.T. 0200, Australia

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/rossm_ling.php
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/projects/biomdr.html

ANU CRICOS Provider Number is 00120C