Enggano language vitality

Richard Parker richardparker01 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 30 03:19:26 UTC 2007

I'm not able to help your question very much, but I'm very interested in Enggano because it is one of the only two Western MP languages I can get info for (Ilongot, thriving in Luzon, is the other) that still maintains a very 'primitive' numbering system.

  I assume all the others in that area were swamped by Bajau/Orang Laut/Sri Vijaya trader numbering systems during the last 2 millenia.

  East of that area, such 'primitive' numbering systems are the rule, not the exception (except in Polynesia) see: http://zompist.com/anes.htm#malayo

  I'm no linguist, but a rank amateur trying to assemble this 'number systems & names' information, and analyse it to see if I can dredge up some useful ideas about Austronesian movements and settlements

  I would very much welcome help from anyone on this list who could advise me

  [Trivia certainly - but the (related?) language of Nias was the basis of the language used in the original 'King Kong' movie - see:
  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002751.html )

  regards

  Richard Parker
Siargao Island, The Philippines.