Teens and Twenties

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-BERLIN.MPG.DE
Fri Nov 23 17:35:16 UTC 2007

>  > Thus, the Russian words for '2' till '6' reflect established IE
>  > protoforms, but then come _sjemh "7', vosjemh '8'.
>  They too represent pIE protoforms see e.g.

I meant that they do not seem to reflect the apparent protoforms for the
respective numbers. At least, I hardly believe that Russian _vosjemh_ '8'
is cognate with Sanskrit _aSTa_ (S = s-subdot, T = t-subdot), Latin
_octo_, English _eight_, etc. And i don't think you are implying that
Russian retained the protoform, while all these others replaced it, and
that by coincidence with a cognate of the replacement chosen in the
other languages.
Malay _tujuh_ '7' reflects a PAN protoform too, but another one than
PAN *pitu '7'.

>  I phrased it badly. It's clear that quadragesimal pertains to 40 but

no problem. We all sometimes use an unlucky formulation when speaking
or writing ad hoc and not in a premeditated presentation. knowing this,
we try to understand what the speaker meant.

Take it easy,

Aloha,  Waruno