SOV vs SVO word order

Malcolm Ross malcolm.ross at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun Jul 6 05:43:56 UTC 2008

Richard,

> 1) Do the earliest languages in a family follow SOV order?

The answer to this question can't really help very much, as the
earliest languages of a family have no special status. For example,
Proto Austronesian is the earliest *reconstructable* stage of the
Austronesian family, but it must itself have been a descendant of some
other at present (and probably forever) unknown earlier language,
indeed of a whole descent line going back to whenever human beings
first produced language. (Incidentally, Proto Austronesian seems to
have been verb-initial, but I think that's a red herring.) The only
useful diachronic argument would be one that showed that in the past
more languages were SOV than SVO (and I don't think that is borne out
by current evidence, which in any case covers only a fairly small part
of the span of human linguistic history). But if this were so, then
one would indeed have a paradox implicit in your question 2 below. If
there was a diachronic tendency for languages to shift from SOV to
SVO, then it would appear that this was a natural tendency, but this
tendency is apparently at odds with the claim 'the natural human
instinct is to think in SOV order'. Whatever way you try to frame the
'naturalness' argument, it entails a paradox -- implying that neither
order is more 'natural' than the other.

> 2) Why on earth should they change to another order? (Except, of
> course, if they come across someone else who has already done it,
> but then the explanation is required for the 'someone else' doing it).

It is remarkably difficult to find cases of change from OV to VO or
vice versa that are free from contact.

- Malcolm

Emeritus Professor Malcolm Ross
Department of Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Building No. 9, The Australian National University
CANBERRA A.C.T. 0200, Australia

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/rossm_ling.php
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/projects/biomdr.html

ANU CRICOS Provider Number is 00120C