Numbers -Austronesian

Malcolm Ross malcolm.ross at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 10 06:58:04 UTC 2008

Dear Richard,

> I hope that these two maps will support my hypothesis that
> Austronesian languages were long entrenched in Near Oceania, before
> a later intrusion (by Meso-Melanesians - Western Malayo-Polynesian
> speakers).
>
> The 'seam-line' in New Britain does not seem to represent a point
> of origin for the reconstructed proto-Oceanic language, thereafter
> splitting between two very different groups, but more, a front-line
> for a later intrusion.

Your maps are spectacular, and outdo anything I have ever produced.
However, I don't think they provide the kind of evidence that you
suggest they do. The Oceanic subgroup of Austronesian is the best
established of all Austronesian groupings, because of the set of
shared innovations reflected in Oceanic languages. Dempwolff drew
attention to these in the late 1930s, and they have been the subject
of a good deal more work since. There is no evidence I know of for
the claim that Meso-Melanesian languages are WMP, and plenty of
evidence that both they and North New Guinea are groupings within
Oceanic.

I think that number systems have culturally acquired lives of their
own, and that (on non-numerical evidence) quite closely related
languages may develop rather different number sets. Sissano and Sera
have been discussed here before in this connection. It seems fairly
clear that an ancestor of all MP languages had a full set of words
for the numerals from 1 to 10, and that these words are retained in
some Oceanic languages but replaced in others. It is, I think, no
coincidence that the number systems of Austronesian languages on  the
New Guinea mainland are the most altered, and I take it that this
reflects calquing on the basis of systems in neighbouring Papuan
languages (but I don't have the evidence for that at my disposal).

All the best,

- Malcolm

Emeritus Professor Malcolm Ross
Department of Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Building No. 9, The Australian National University
CANBERRA A.C.T. 0200, Australia

http://rspas.anu.edu.au/people/personal/rossm_ling.php
http://rspas.anu.edu.au/linguistics/projects/biomdr.html

ANU CRICOS Provider Number is 00120C