query: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Nov 13 20:13:22 UTC 2008

Dear Paz,

Maraming salamat, thanks for your quick reply and the Tagalog examples.
I think, however, that Tagalog differs crucially from Roon in that --
please correct me if I'm wrong -- you can't say

*Nagsisitawa si Juan

(which would be the equivalent of Roon sentence (3)) to mean

Tumatawa sina Juan
'Juan and his friends are laughing'.

Warmest regards,

David

> Hello David and Fellow Austronesianists!
>
> For all it's worth, here is something in Tagalog (and Cebuano and
> Hiligaynon) that appears to parallel your examples:
>
> (1) Amos-i i-berif
>    Amos-PERS 3SG:ANIM-laugh
>    'Amos is laughing'
>
> TAG:    Tumatawa si                   Juan / Si Juan, Tumatawa.
>                              SING NOM
>                         'Juan is laughing.'
>
> (2) Amos-i su-berif
>     Amos-PERS 3DU:ANIM-laugh
>     'Amos and his friend are laughing'
>
> TAG:    Tumatawa si Juan  AT ang kaibigan niya / Si Juan AT and
> kaibigan niya, tumatawa.
>               (no 'dual' marker) and
>                   'Juan and his friend are laughing.'
>
> (3) Amos-i si-berif
>       Amos-PERS 3PL:ANIM-laugh
>       'Amos and his friends are laughing'
>
> TAG: Tumatawa sina                     Juan / Sina Juan, tumatawa.
>                          PLURAL NOM
>         'Juan and his friends are laughing'.
>
> However, although the 'number-neutral' form TUMATAWA 'laughing' is
> most often used, Tagalog does have an optional PLURAL form:
> NAGSISITAWA or NANGAGSISITAWA 'are laughing'.
>
> Warmest regards, Paz
>

> Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.
> (emeritus) Associate Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures
>                Program Associate, Linguistics
>                Faculty Associate, Center for SSEAsian Studies
>
> (formerly) Assistant Professor, Linguistics
>                Lecturer, Teaching Fellow, Romance Languages
> The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109
> Home Address: 2032 Winsted Blvd., Ann Arbor MI 48103
> Tel/Fax:   734-995-2371
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Gil" <gil at eva.mpg.de>

David Gil

Department of Linguistics