query: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at UMICH.EDU
Thu Nov 13 22:50:45 UTC 2008

David,

I am afraid I did not state things clearly. I should have put it this way:

        "However, although the 'number-neutral' form TUMATAWA 'laughing' is
         most often used WITH PLURAL NOUNS, Tagalog does have an optional
PLURAL form:
        NAGSISITAWA or NANGAGSISITAWA 'are laughing'." that is used WITH
PLURAL NOUNS.

In other words: TUMATAWA is USUALLY USED with BOTH SINGULAR AND PLURAL
NOUNS;
                        Although TUMATAWA is most often used with PLURAL
NOUNS,  the OPTIONAL PLURAL FORM
                        NAGSISITAWA/NANGAGSISITAWA IS OPTIONALLY USED WITH
PLURAL NOUNS.

Indeed we cannot say *Nagsisitawa si Juan.
Nagsisitawa/nangagsisitawa is only usable with SINA Juan.

Paz