query: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 14 12:50:48 UTC 2008

Hi David G.

Here are two examples taken from page 143 of
Esser's grammar of Mori Bawah (Sulawesi,
Indonesia).  The plural marker meN- preceding the
verb in these cases indicates 3 or more.  The
plural pronoun, a clitic following the verb, indicates 2 or more.

men-tahane='ira
pl-go.thither.upward-3pl
‘they are on their way up’

me-ramai='ira=mo              i       Laengko
pl-come.hither-3pl-perf       pn     Laengko
‘Laengko and those with him are already coming’

Although Esser does not provide the clinching
example, if you wanted to indicated that just
Laengko was coming, you would say:

ramai=o=mo              i       Laengko
come.hither-3sg-perf   pn    Laengko

To round out the picture, you could also say
ramai'iramo  i  Laengko  that is, with pural
pronoun but without plural marker on the
verb.  This sentence has two interpretations: as
dual ("Laengko and his companion are coming") or,
as is common, use of the plural to indicate
respect toward a singular indiidual ("the respected Laengko is coming").

Reference:

Esser, S.J. 1927–1933. Klank- en vormleer van het
Morisch [Phonology and morphology of Mori]. 2
volumes. (Verhandelingen van het Bataviaasch
Genootschap van Kunsten en Wetenschappen, 67/3 &
67/4). Leiden: Vros (1927); Bandoeng: Nix (1933).

Yours,

David M.