query: associative plurals via noun-verb disagreement

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sat Nov 15 14:58:50 UTC 2008

Dear Waruno,

Thanks for the example of /pada/ from Jakarta Indonesian.  (I resist
calling it "colloquial Indonesian" because there are so many different
regional varieties of colloquial Indonesian, and in fact in most there
is no /pada/ as in the Jakarta dialect.)
> (1a) _dia ketawa_
>      3S INDIC-laugh
>     '[s]he laugh[s,ed]'
>
> (2a) _dia pada ketawa_
>      3S PLURAL INDIC-laugh
>      'they [all] laugh[-ed]'
Well the problem with this example (and with the very nice googled
examples that you provided later in your message) is that, pace your
interlinear "3S" gloss, in Jakarta Indonesian /dia/ can be used *on its
own* (ie. without /pada/) with plural reference.  (You may be less
likely to find this in writing, but in spoken language, use of /dia/ on
its own with plural reference is common.)  Thus, (1a) can also be
understood as 'they laugh[s,ed]'.

What would be necessary for Jakarta Indonesian to have the
Associative-Plural-via-Disagreement construction in question is if

Ali pada ketawa
Ali PLURAL laugh
'Ali and his friends laugh[-ed]'

turned out to be grammatical, and with the interpretation indicated
above.  In fact, just yesterday I wrote to a couple of people in Jakarta
-- alas, I am right now in late-autumnal Leipzig -- asking them exactly
this, but I have not yet heard back.  (My best guess, however, is that
it is not grammatical, and therefore that Jakarta Indonesian does not
have this construction.)

By the way, analogous questions can also be asked for Javanese, from
which Jakarta Indonesian /pada/ came.

Warmest regards,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/