Query about a Bunun example in Ogawa & Asai (1935)

Loren Billings sgnillib at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 6 11:43:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 19:26, Daniel Long <dlong at bcomp.metro-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> I don't have the original so I can't say anything for certain. The romanized Japanese is not accurate I am afraid.

###My Japanese is nonexistent, but even I wondered why there was <-wa>
after <tabe> , as well as why the 'deer' would go after the verb.

> If you could scan it and show it to me as an attachment I could take a look.

###My photocopy is very feint (a copy of someone else's copy). I don't
think it would scan very well. I'd also need to wait until Monday
morning. (Does anyone else on the list have a scan of this work?)

> You said you have a question about it, but you don't mention what your question is.

###Good point. I'm generally tryrying to figure the sentence out (so I
can cite an early example of the two pronominal forms). That's still
not a question syntactically, but you get the idea.

> But as I said the following is not accurate (i.e. not Japanese)
> <watasi-wa anata-ni tabe-wa selo-mono>
> How about this?
> Watashi wa anata ni tabe sase ru mono
> which would mean
> "the thing that I make/let you eat"

###A causative in Bunun is usually signaled by /pa-/ on the verb.
There is none. I also wonder why there is an extra <i> in <iSi>.

> I could give the glosses for this, which is my best guess.
> Danny Long, Japanese Linguistics

###My hope is that someone with this book who can read it will reply.
If that doesn't happen, then I'll try scanning the two pages and
sending them to you (Danny). Thanks, just the same for the response.
(By the way, Alex François wrote, on the Facebook ICAL page, and said
that this was not a correct Japanese sentence.)

--Loren