[Fwd: question for Austronesian list]

Piet Lincoln linc at HAWAII.RR.COM
Fri Dec 11 07:29:40 UTC 2009

Hi Annemarie,

While I don't know of a cross linguistic study  the phenomon you have
interest in occurs in Bannoni  [SW Bougainville} not very far from Haava.

What I have in mind is the use of /*va-*/  to achieve same subject
construction for the verb to kill:

*ke                  tsunu   va-            mate-a     nna*
REAL.3s      hit         CAUSE      die   -3s   he
He killed it (by hitting).                 [example from Lynch, Ross, &
Crowley(2002:450)]

The /*va-/*  prefix has other uses,  CAUSE  in general,   making ordinal
numerals from cardinals, making adverbs from adjectives.

As I recall, quite similar to Fijian.

Good luck,
Keep in touch,

Piet