Fw: Etymology of Malay berhala

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at UMICH.EDU
Fri Jan 23 05:25:48 UTC 2009

Richard, I think we're on the right track on this.

----- Original Message -----
From: Paz B. Naylor
To: csundita at yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [An-lang] Etymology of Malay berhala

Hi, Chris,

I may be off but it sounds like a good guess:

The word "bahala" inTagalog "Bahala na" looks like it might have been derived from Bathala, since the expression also means 'leave it to luck/fate/God" - something like "let's see (what comes)", "que sera, sera!".
("suit yourself" actually is "bahala ka na")

Paz