Fwd: South pacific language question

Paul Geraghty geraghty_p at USP.AC.FJ
Wed Oct 28 05:51:09 UTC 2009

I believe the two articles in Oceanic Linguistics 2001, by Bender et al, on
Proto Micronesian (and references therein) will explain the relationship of
Nauruan with other Micronesian languages.

Other works on Nauruan:

Jacob, Maggie. 1996. Nauru language dictionary. Nauru, computer printout.
Kayser, Alois. 1993. Nauruan grammar. Ed Karl H Rensch. Yarralumla (ACT):
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany.

These have some Nauruan words and/or glossaries:

Detudamo, Timothy. 2008 [1938]. Legends, tradiitons & tales of Nauru. Suva:
Institute of Pacific Studies, USP.
Kayser, Alois. 2002. Nauru one hundred years ago. 1. Pandanus [and others in
this series]. Suva: Institute of Pacific Studies, USP.
Petit-Skinner, Solange. 1981. The Nauruans. San Francisco: MacDuff Press.
Petit-Skinner, Solange. 1982. Pecheurs de Nauru - the Nauruan fishermen.
Paris: NEL.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au [mailto:an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au] On
Behalf Of Mark Hale
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:53 AM
To: Bill Palmer
Cc: an-lang at anu.edu.au; wechsler at mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: [An-lang] Fwd: South pacific language question

Hi all,

The most up-to-date reference is, to my knowledge,

Geoffrey Nathan, 'Nauruan in the Austronesian language family',
Oceanic Linguistics 12 (1973): 479-501

And there is quite extensive, though (as usual with these volumes)
difficult to interpret data in
the reports of the German Südsee-Expedition (Hambruch 1914).

I realize that it is pretty standard to say that Nauruan is closely
related to the Micronesian languages,
but, frankly, I couldn't find a drop of evidence for this view when I
worked through the German materials
in some detail a few years ago. Could someone tell me which of the
defining characteristics of the
Micronesian branch Nauruan is supposed so share? In the absence of any
compelling linguistic evidence
(but maybe I'm wrong about that) I would be very hesitant about
expressing opinions on dispersal
timing.

Mark

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Bill Palmer
<Bill.Palmer at newcastle.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> The linguistic evidence suggests Nauru was settled very early in the human
occupation of Micronesia. It appears to be a first-order branch of the
Micronesian subgroup of Oceanic languages, either as the first offshot from
the proto language that also gave rise to the other Micronesian subgroup
languages, or as a sister of Proto Micronesian. This alone suggests that
either Nauru was the first stepping stone on the way to populate Micronesia,
or was the first island settled away from the Micronesian homeland (propably
in Kiribati, possibly Kosrae). The time depth for Micronesia overall is
probably roughly right for Nauru.

> However, despite Nauruan appearing to be a highly interesting and
divergent language, and being very highly endangered (fewer than 50% of the
population of Nauru speak Nauruan - less than about 3000 speakers in total),
little is known about it. In 1993 the German Embassy in Canberra published a
facsimile of a set of typewritten 1930s missionary notes on the language by
one Father Alois Kayser. Apart from that, no descriptive work has been
published on the language that I am aware of.

> Bill Palmer
>
> Dr Bill Palmer
> Convenor, Pacific Languages Research Group
> Linguistics Research Higher Degree and Honours coordinator
> School of Humanities and Social Science
> University of Newcastle
> Callaghan NSW 2308
> Australia
> email bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au
> Can anyone help with this question (from a non-linguist friend) about
Nauru