OL & OLSP availability online

Joel Bradshaw bradshaw at HAWAII.EDU
Mon Sep 21 19:30:25 UTC 2009

For future reference, here's a brief note on where OL & OLSP volumes are
available online.

ProQuest's PAO added OL issues through 1995 to its online archives in
2005. I thought they were planning to add new back issues behind a
10-year moving wall, adding the 1996 issues in 2006, the 1997 issues in
2007, and so on, but they seem to have stopped for good at 1995.

New issues of OL began appearing on MUSE in 2000, where one 1999 issue
(38.2) serves as a free demo.

All back issues of OL behind a 3-year moving wall are available in
JSTOR's Arts & Sciences VII Collection.
http://uhpjournals.wordpress.com/2001/12/06/oceanic-linguistics-vols-1-40-1962-2001-authortitle-index/
http://www.jstor.org/journals/00298115.html

All OL Special Publications more than 3 years old are available in
JSTOR's Arts & Sciences Complement.
http://uhpjournals.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/oceanic-linguistics-special-publications/
http://www.jstor.org/journals/00783188.html

The proliferation of separate, subscriber-only collections at JSTOR is
humbug, but it's offset a bit by the ability of nonsubscribers to
purchase individual PDFs online for a fixed fee per PDF, no matter the
size. It costs the same for Goodenough's 1997 OL article Proto-Kimbe (65
pp) as for Lichtenberk's 1983 OLSP Grammar of Manam (648 pp). If you
find a particular article on JSTOR and your IP address is not recognized
as that of a subscribing institution, then you should see something you
can click on to purchase the individual article.

Joel

Joel Bradshaw
Journals & Web Manager
University of Hawai'i Press