Riedel 1881 Two Folkstories from Sekah/Orang Laut (Belitung, Indonesia)

pgrange at UNIV-LR.FR pgrange at UNIV-LR.FR
Wed Apr 28 19:32:00 UTC 2010

Karl & Kristen Anderbeck <anderbeck at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Greetings,
>
> I am analyzing two folkstories of the Sekah (Orang Laut) language published
> in:
>

> Riedel, J. G. F. 1881. Twee volksverhalen in het dialekt der Orang Lawoet of
> Orang Sekah van Belitoeng (Two folkstories in the dialect of the Orang Lawut
> or Orang Sekah of Belitung). Tijdschrift voor Indische Taal-, Land- en
> Volkenkunde 26:264-273.
>

> I have found no analysis of the language of these folkstories, except a
> reference to personal communication with Kern that he had looked at them and
> determined they were Malay.
>

> Is anyone aware of analysis that has been done on the speech variety
> documented in these stories?  I don't want to spend too much time on them if
> someone else has already done the spade work.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Karl Anderbeck
>
> National University of Malaysia

Dear colleague,
I am transcribing and translating folkstories or epic songs from the
Sama-Bajo language (dialect of South Celebes, Kangean and Flores).
Although the Sama-Bajo and the Orang Laut/Sekah languages seem
unrelated, they all are "sea people" and I wonder if some characters
or episodes might be similar in their folkstories. If you think that a
data comparison might be relevant, you can contact me at
chandra.nuraini at univ-lr.fr
Regards,
Chandra Nuraini
Université de La Rochelle, France