Prenasalized stops

LR-Linguistics LR-Linguistics at SIL.ORG.PG
Wed Jun 2 05:27:16 UTC 2010

Yes, thank you for the lead on Mangap-Mbula. I found one example in the Mangap-Mbula language data we have:

mbalmbal - 'pigeon'

But that is only a reduplicated occurrence. I don't see another - reduplicated or otherwise. But it even occurs in the language name! p-Mb

I just got off the internet site pnglanguages.org. Look up "languages by name" in the left side bar and look up Mbula. then you'll see a Mbula-English bilingual dictionary in pdf format. Open the Part 1 and start searching for consonant combinations. I found 8 instances of lmb, 1 instance of smb.

For what it's worth. . .You still have to determine if these "letters" are describing what you are looking for. Good luck!

Ray Stegeman
LCORE Linguistics
SIL-PNG, Box 418, Ukarumpa, EHP 444, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Telephone: (675) 537-4595, Email: lr-linguistics at sil.org.pg

-----Original Message-----
From: an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au [mailto:an-lang-bounces at anu.edu.au] On Behalf Of Philip Spaelti
Sent: Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:58 AM
To: an-lang at anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: [An-lang] Prenasalized stops

On 1. Jun 2010, at 8:54 , LR-Linguistics wrote:

> I'm not finding reduplicated words that fit the pattern you ask for.
> For example, I thought I would find words like:
>
> mpul.mpul
> nggar.nggar
> ndot.ndot

This rang a bell. A language that might be worth looking at in this regard is Mangap-Mbula (data from Bugenhagen 1995). I find the following in some very old notes of mine:

prenasalized segments copies as nasals
ˈloondo lonˈloondo      ‘you (sg) be running’ (46)
yaamba  yamyaamba       ‘to scold’ (27)
toombo  tomtoombo       ‘to try’ (27)
seeŋge  zeŋzeeŋge       ‘you (sg) be laughing’ (47)

‘squeezed nasal deletion’ (i.e. prenasals copy as stop)
ŋguŋ    ŋguŋguŋ ‘you (sg) be coughing’ (47)
ŋgun    ŋgungun ‘you (sg) be sticking something into the ground’
ndom    ndomdom ‘you (sg) be growing’ (60)
mboono  mbonboono       ‘ironwood seedlings’ (55)

other prenasalized segments copy in full
ŋgeeze  ŋgesŋgeeze      ‘you (sg) be fluent, smooth, or clean’ (54)
ambai   ambaimbai       ‘you (sg) be very good’ (52)
mbot    mbotmbot        ‘stay’ (65) (133)
mbuutu  mbutmbuutu      ‘grasses’ (181)
ti-mbuk ti-mbukmbuk     ‘3pl-tie’ (290)

Hope this helps