Prenasalized stops

LR-Linguistics LR-Linguistics at SIL.ORG.PG
Mon May 31 23:54:06 UTC 2010

Roger,

I found a couple of languages that seem to have what you're looking for - or maybe you hope NOT to find it. . .In that case, sorry.

The Kombio (XBI, Torricelli Phylum; Kombio Stock; Kombio Family) language has two words:

polnk - a type of sago
a.wulmp - 'to cover'

These were given as data representing CVCCC syllables.

Another language - Siroi (SSD, TransNew Guinea, Madang-Adelbert Range subphylum; Rai Coast Stock; Kabenau family) has this data:

ngguail.mbu - 'fly'

This was given as data representing CVVVC syllables in the language.

I can do some more research if you need. I found a lot of evidence for prenasalised consonants FOLLOWED BY another consonant, like:

nyi.ngraiq - 'fly' (Kamasau lg. KMS)
tembt - 'bow' (Alamblak AMP)
i.mpru? - 'to be with' (Adzera AZR)

I'm not finding reduplicated words that fit the pattern you ask for. For example, I thought I would find words like:

mpul.mpul
nggar.nggar
ndot.ndot

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or the data is there, but not reported.

Best of luck,

Ray

Ray Stegeman
LCORE Linguistics
SIL-PNG, Box 418, Ukarumpa, EHP 444, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Telephone: (675) 537-4595, Email: lr-linguistics at sil.org.pg