Makassar Malay population estimate

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 8 14:28:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have my doubts about the population estimate for Makassar Malay
given in the Ethnologue 16th ed, namely 1,880,000 speakers
(2000).  In the 15th edition the reported figure is 1,876,548 with
the source as (2000 WCD).  Prior to that, Makassar Malay was not
listed in the Ethnologue.

One reason (among others) why I doubt this figure is that the total
population of the entire city of Makassar on South Sulawesi,
Indonesia, is only aroung 1.2 or 1.3 million people..

I emailed WCD (World Christian Database) some time ago asking about
their source of their Makassarese Malay estimate (since they are
obviously a secondary, not a primary, source), but never recieved a
reply.  Does anyone out there who has studied Malayic varieties have
(or know of) a different estimate -- especially in terms of L1 versus
L2 speakers?

Conversely, is anyone willing to support the reported estimate?  My
own hunch about this is that somewhere along the way someone confused
Makassar Malay http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mfp
with the Makassar (Makasar) language
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mak (for which an
estimate of 1.9 million speakers is reasonably in the ballbark).

David Mead

P.S.  I also came across this on the internet.  Whether others would
dispute Scott's statement or not I don't know. However, if Makassar
Malay had upwards of 2 million speakers I don't think he'd be making
it at all.

  Endangered Malay Varieties: The Malay Contact Varieties of Eastern Indonesia
Scott Paauw (University of Rochester)

The role of the Malay language historically as a trade language gave
rise to a number of contact varieties of Malay in Eastern Indonesia.
These varieties include some which never gained significant numbers
of native speakers (Makassar Malay, Alor Malay), some which have only
gained significant numbers of native speakers relatively recently
(North Moluccan Malay, Papuan Malay), and five varieties which have
been used as a native language by communities for hundreds of years
(Ambon Malay, Manado Malay, Banda Malay, Kupang Malay and Larantuka
Malay). For a long time, these varieties were stable, existing as the
native tongues of their communities, and often as a regional lingua
franca with speakers of other languages as well.