query: aspect and/or tense in tagalog and other Philippine languages

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Aug 7 13:53:25 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I would like to solicit your insights with regard to a rather specific
question concerning the semantic description of verbal inflection in
Tagalog and other Philippine languages.

I am interested in whether paradigms such as, for example, the Tagalog
actor-focus forms for 'run' /tumakbo/, /tumatakbo/, and /tatakbo/ are
most appropriately described as involving a contrast in aspect (as is, I
believe, most commonly assumed to be the case), or rather tense or even
mood.  I would greatly appreciate (a) bibliographical references to
works which explicitly discuss this issue, for Tagalog or other
Philippine languages, and (b) any thoughts of your own on this issue.

Of course, it is possible that such paradigms reflect a combination of
aspect and also tense or mood.  For example, the above Tagalog paradigm
appears to result from the addition of one or both of two morphemes,
initial CV- reduplication, sometimes said to mark the imperfective, plus
the infix /-um-/, which, in addition to marking actor-focus, also
expresses what could possibly be analyzed as non-future tense or realis
mood.

Looking forward to any comments and suggestions you might have on this
issue.

Many thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/