Proto-Oceanic for 'again' or 'also'?

Malcolm Ross Malcolm.ross at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 23 12:48:30 UTC 2011

Dear Claudia,

There are all sorts of terms for 'again' in Western Oceanic, but the one that it reflected frequently is POc *mule, a verb meaning 'return, repeat'. I assume it was used in serial verb constructions in POc and has been grammaticised in various daughter-languages.

I can't help you with SE Solomonic: 'again' doesn't appear in Tryon and Hackman, and I haven't collected SE Solomonic data myself. Maybe someone else on the list has.

All the best,

- Malcolm