Reason marker in Oceanic - a summary

Frank Lichtenberk f.lichtenberk at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Sun Apr 1 01:54:54 UTC 2012

Dear Austronesianists,

Several weeks ago I posted a query about data concerning one type of reason marker in Oceanic. (The original message is repeated further below). I have had a number of very useful responses, and I wish to thank all those who have written to me.

Here is a summary.

John Jensen says that Yapese has an intransitive verb [su:l] ‘follow’ and a transitive verb [suluwe:g] ‘return s.t.’. The alternation between the long [u:] in the intransitive form and the short [u] in the transitive form suggests to him a proto-form of the form *sulV.

David Gil says that in Indonesian susul ‘means ‘follow’ in the sense of ‘go somewhere that some other person has previously gone’.

And Aleksandr Ogloblin mentions Malay/Indonesian menyusul (< susul) ‘follow, pursuit’.

Paul Geraghty says he reconstructs something like *quc[ui]-0̷ for Proto Central Pacific (q stands for glottal stop). Fijian reflexes generally mean ‘imitate, resemble’, and Polynesian reflexes ‘go by, pass by’. There are possibly also two grammatical reflexes in Fiji meaning ‘like’, used with demonstratives, ‘like this, ‘like that’. Paul also mentions huur ‘follow’ in Nyalayu [Nyelâyu] (New Caledonia) and isek pass ‘pass through, go by way of’ and sigen ‘go by way of’ in Chamorro. [In New Caledonia there is also huura/huuri in Nêlêmwâ.]

A couple of people wrote to say that the language(s) they are familiar with do not have any forms related to the ones I am interested in, but Chuck Grimes mentions that ‘follow’-cause/reason polysemies are found in eastern Indonesia with forms that are not cognate with/reflexes of *suRi or *XusuRi. In fact, such “non-cognate” polysemies/heterosemies are also found in Oceanic. Clearly, there is a link between the meaning ‘follow’ and the reason/causal meaning. In my (still to be completed) paper I suggest there is a metonymy involved.

Frank Lichtenberk