Pronunciation of "Samoa"

Andrew Pawley andrew.pawley at ANU.EDU.AU
Mon Mar 5 00:45:33 UTC 2012

Dear Chris and Uri

Stress placement in Samoan is a bit more complicated than Uri's description indicates.  When words are spoken in isolation the main stress occurs on the penultimate mora (a long vowel being two mora).  So for Samoa, you will hear [,sa:'moa], as Chris says. However, in this case the penultimate stress represents an intonation contour stress or peak, not inherent to the word itself, just because intonation stresses normally fall on the penultimate mora of an intonational phrase. When another word or affix follows a four mora word, such as sa:moa, in the same intonational phrase, there is equal stress on the first mora and the penultimate mora of that word, but the contour stress/peak falls on the penultimate syllable of the intonation contour.  So fa?a-sa:moa-ina 'make into Samoan, Samoanize' would be ['fa?a'sa:'moa^ina] (using ^ to represent contour stress and ? to represent glottal stop).

And there's a pitch contrast between non-final (or comma) intonation peaks/stresses and utterance final (full-stop) ones.

Andy Pawley

PS. I use mora rather than syllable to reckon stress placement, because some would argue that long vowels and vowel sequences such as ai, ei, ou are best analysed as single syllables (of two mora). Maybe so but in slow speech in contour final position one often hears 'te^ine 'girl' instead of ^teine.  I think Uri is right about Samoa sometimes being spoken with a rearticulated short vowel [aa] in slow speech.