calques in Philippine languages

Piers Kelly Piers.Kelly at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Mar 20 20:42:38 UTC 2012

Hi AN-langers,
This is a question I have asked colleagues and posted to linguist list with
varied responses:

Can anyone identify plausible calques of Spanish or English phrases in
Philippine languages?

This is my list of what I assume to be clear calques:
Visayan:
*Ginuu ku *from Spanish *¡Dios mio!*
*Matag karun ug unya * from English 'Every now and then'
*Mas ... *[adj] *sa ...* from Spanish *Más ... * [adj] *que...* ('more s.t.
than s.t')

Tagalog:
*Mas ... *[adj] *kay ...* from Spanish *Más ... * [adj] *que...* ('more
s.t. than s.t')

I take the view that the following a calques but others have disagreed or
are uncertain:

Visayan:
*Daghan salamat* from Spanish *Muchas gracias*
*Maayung buntag/hapun/gabii* from Spanish *Buenos/as dias/tardes/noches*
*
*
Tagalog:
*Maraming salamat* from Spanish *Muchas gracias*
*Magandang umaga/hapon/gabii* from Spanish *Buenos/as dias/tardes/noches**
*

Anyone else have a view on this?

Many thanks,

Piers

--
Piers Kelly | PhD Scholar
Linguistics, College of Asia and the Pacific