origin of takuri=kettle, salapi=money, gunting=scissors

Piers Kelly Piers.Kelly at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue May 8 22:48:49 UTC 2012

Hello again An-langers,
Many thanks for your useful responses so far on *payung* ('umbrella').

Before I summarise them for the group I have another related question. I'm
looking at Visayan words for post-contact products that don't appear to be
loaned from contact languages. Specifically, I'm interested in the
lexifying strategies brought to the task, eg, metaphor, metonym,
description etc.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out the origins of these three
Cebuano-Visayan words, which I'm assuming are post-contact products:

*takuri* ('kettle')
*salapi* ('money')
*gunting* ('scissors')

Looking forward to your responses,

Piers

--
Piers Kelly | PhD Scholar
Linguistics, College of Asia and the Pacific