Fwd: verbs of carrying

Joshua and Amy josh.ruthamy at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 2 08:01:27 UTC 2014

I'm passing this along in case anyone else on the list is interested.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Siu, Lap <lap.siu at ttu.edu>
Date: Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: [An-lang] verbs of carrying
To: Joshua and Amy <josh.ruthamy at gmail.com>
Cc: "Deborah.Hill at canberra.edu.au" <Deborah.Hill at canberra.edu.au>

 [...] Deborah, I'm a Jarai speaker.

 1) In Jarai, the verb for carrying something on one's head is called đua
/ɗua/ (at least for the Cheo Reo dialect). This verb is not used for
objects such as a hat, scarf, or any thing that we use to protect our head.

 We have so many words with the English meaning "to carry." For instance,
to carry something on the shoulder is glăm; to carry on the back is "gui",
etc.

 2) As far as I know, we do not have "gender exclusive" verb for "to
carry."

Lap M. Siu , Instructor
Dept. of Sociology, Anthropology, & Social Work
Texas Tech University (TTU)
2500 Broadway St.
Lubbock, TX 79409
lap.siu at ttu.edu