verbs of carrying

Gunter Senft Gunter.Senft at MPI.NL
Tue Sep 2 08:02:04 UTC 2014

Dear Debbie!

here are Kilivila verbs of carrying:

-gebila-                 to carry
-kau-                     to take (away), to carry
-gabi-                    to carry on one's head (done by women only)
-katake'u-           to carry on one's shoulder (done by men only)
-katakeva-          to carry on one's shoulder (done by men only)
-takausi-              to carry on one's shoulder (done by men only)
-pwesi-                 to carry under one's arm (that's the way men usually carry their woven bags, but the verb is not gender specific)
-kauve-PPIV-     to carry s.o. pick-a-pack (PPIV = possessive pronoun, inalienable possession)
                                Tama-m e-kauve-m  = Your father carries you pick-a-pack
-papi-                    to carry s.o. pick-a-pack
-koke'ula-            to keep on carrying

-katakeva- is a variant of -katake'u- ; I do not know anything about the semantic difference between these two verbs and the verb -takausi-

All the best from Nijmegen
Yours,
Gunter

Prof. Dr. Gunter Senft