verbs of carrying

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-BERLIN.MPG.DE
Tue Sep 2 11:49:06 UTC 2014

Dear Debbie,

Indonesian Malay is probably a bit too far from your immediate scope
of interest,
but just in case, here is what came to my mind for comparison:
The verbal prefix I will separate with a hyphen.
When there is fusion of the prefixal nasal with the base-initial
consonant, I will
place a hyphen before and after the resulting (fused) consonant. .

meng-angkut - (a) lift up & carry;
              (b) carry on a means of transport (e.g. a wagon).
mem-bawa - carry/bring along.
mem-boyong - carry things along/away to move them somewhere.
meng-gotong - (collectively) carry something heavy.
men-junjung - carry on the head.
me-m-ikul (wordbase: pikul) - carry on the shoulders (typically as a
pair of burdens
               hanging from both ends of a pole).
meng-usung - (collectively) carry on the shoulders (e.g. a litter or
sedan chair,
              a bier, a coffin)

The parenthesised "collectively" in the gloss indicates that the
carrying is typically
(or even exclusively) performed through cooperation of several persons.

Wish all the best,
Waruno