[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Mon Feb 16 06:24:23 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Many thanks for all of your suggestions, either to me personally or to
the list.  In fact, there was unanimity that the source of Malayic
"kasi" ('give') is in a similar word for 'love' or 'compassion'.  At
first I was not too convinced; it felt a little bit too much like a folk
etymology.  However, some of the later comments, with data from a wider
range of languages such as Onya Darat (Land Dayak, thanks to Uri Tadmor)
and Tae' (Torajan, thanks to Daniel Kaufman), provided evidence that
this is most probably the correct etymology.

Again, thanks to you all for your comments,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/