[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

Robert Blust blust at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 17 18:56:38 UTC 2015

David,

I'm not talking about "final glottal stops".  I'm talking about
*-q, which regularly became Malay /-h/.  You'll notice that it appears in
/kasih/, where we would expect it (from *ka-qasiq --- see the ACD), but not
in /kasi/, which is why I told you when you first sent your inquiry out that
I don't know of a good etymology for the latter.

Best,

Bob