[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Fri Feb 20 02:45:24 UTC 2015

Sorry to be so finicky about these little phonological details, but the
list of loanwords with final /h/ offered by Tom Hoogervorst, while
perhaps corresponding to the orthographic conventions of Standard
Indonesian, does not correspond to the reality of any of the couple of
dozen or so dialects of Malay and Indonesian that I can vouch for.  In
particular, for all of the dialects that I am familiar with, there is a
distinction between /teh/ 'tea', in which the final /h/ is invariably
preserved, and most or all of the other loanwords cited by Tom, in which
the /h /is either completely absent, or present only in phrase-final
positions.

(My colleague Tim McKinnon has suggested that the above distinction
between /teh/ and most/all other words with supposedly final /h/ is due
to a principle of minimality, whereby a simple CV would be too small to
constitute a proper word; hence the /h/ is invariably retained.
However, in at least some of the dialects that I am familiar with, CV
words (with no final /h/ or glottal stop) are possible, albeit
dispreferred.)

David

PS Football provides a great source for new loans, which, arguably,
enter straight into local dialects rather than being mediated through
the standard language or a higher-prestige local dialect. We recently
ran a little "experiment" (more like a game, actually) whose output was
a large corpus of naturalistically produced Messis and Ronaldos, in
different syntactic environments, in Jakarta Indonesian.  We're still
working on coding the results, but impressionistically, there was
variation between final vowels, final /hs /and final glottal stops.

On 19/02/2015 23:00, Tom Hoogervorst wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Further to Waruno’s point on the appearance of final /h/ in Malay
> vernaculars, it may be added that this tendency is also attested in
> some loanwords:
>

> /əngkah/‘glue’ < Hokkien /n̂g-ka/ (黃膠)
>
> /gajah/‘elephant’ < Sanskrit /gaja/
>
> /galuh/‘gem’ < Sanskrit /galū/
>
> /patih/‘chief minister’ < Sanskrit /pati/
>
> /rupiah/‘a kind of coin’ < Sanskrit /rūpya/
>
> /səkolah/‘school’ < Portuguese /escola/
>
> /səparuh/‘one half’ < Javanese /səparo/
>
> /teh/‘tea’ < Hokkien /tê/ (茶)
>
> In addition, the following examples have a word-final /h/ in Malaysia
> but not in Indonesia:
>
> /jaguh/‘champion’ < Javanese /jago/
>
> /tempoh/‘time’ < Portuguese /tempo/
>
> It would seem, as was pointed out before, that this reflects
> underexplored processes of interdialectical borrowing prior to the
> standardization of Malay.
>

> All the best,
>
> Tom Hoogervorst

David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/