[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Sun Feb 22 04:38:02 UTC 2015

To return to the semantic strand of this ongoing discussion:

By sheer coincidence, I was just browsing through a wordlist of Tidung
(spoken in Tarakan, Kalimantan Utara), and the word for 'give' is given
as /saiyang, /which is clearly related to the familiar Malay /sayang/
'love'/'compassion'/'pity'.  Seems like an almost completely parallel
semantic change to that which was posited by several discussants for
Malay /kasi(h)/, and, in my view, the clincher for this proposed etymology.

Appell-Warren, Laura P. (1978) "The Tarakan Dialect of the Tidung
Language of East Kalimantan: Distribution and Basic Vocabulary", in A.S.
Wurm and Lois Carrington eds., Second International Conference on
Austronesian Linguistics: Proceedings, Pacific Linguistics C-61, 148-166.

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email:gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/