[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Mon Feb 23 03:21:34 UTC 2015

Antonia,

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess it could even be that
Appell-Warren asked her informant for the word /kasi/ 'give' but her
informant misunderstood the question as being about /kasih/ 'love'.
Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what you find.

Best,

David

On 23/02/2015 00:05, antonia soriente wrote:
> Il 22/02/15 5:38 AM, David Gil ha scritto:
>> To return to the semantic strand of this ongoing discussion:
>>
>> By sheer coincidence, I was just browsing through a wordlist of
>> Tidung (spoken in Tarakan, Kalimantan Utara), and the word for 'give'
>> is given as /saiyang, /which is clearly related to the familiar Malay
>> /sayang/ 'love'/'compassion'/'pity'.  Seems like an almost completely
>> parallel semantic change to that which was posited by several
>> discussants for Malay /kasi(h)/, and, in my view, the clincher for
>> this proposed etymology.
>>
>> Appell-Warren, Laura P. (1978) "The Tarakan Dialect of the Tidung
>> Language of East Kalimantan: Distribution and Basic Vocabulary", in
>> A.S. Wurm and Lois Carrington eds., Second International Conference
>> on Austronesian Linguistics: Proceedings, Pacific Linguistics C-61,
>> 148-166.

> Dear David,
> I do not know Tidung well but it is indeed spoken in the area where I
> collect my data and by a large population in Malinau, Tarakan and in
> Kecamatan Tana Tidung and is related to other Murutic languages spoken
> in Kalimantan and Sarawak. Many Tidung people consider themselves
> 'orang Melayu' having embraced the Moslem religion. This means that
> they are heavily influenced by the Malay culture and language. I have
> checked on some wordlists and dictionaries I have (Bolongan, Murut
> etc) and I have found nowhere the word saiyang for 'give'. It seems to
> me that the informant associated the meaning  'affection' and 'give'
> of the Malay kasih to his/her language. Among the many languages I
> work on this association is not common.
> Next time I go to Tarakan, I'll make sure to check with Tidung speakers.
> Antonia
>
> --
> Antonia Soriente
> Indonesian language and literature
> Department of Asia, Africa and Mediterranean
> University of Naples 'L'Orientale'
> Piazza San Domenico Maggiore
> 80134 Napoli - Italy
> asoriente at unior.it

David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/