[An-lang] etymology of Kasi(h), and sayang

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Thu Feb 26 13:28:37 UTC 2015

With regard to _sayang_ there is an old Ambonese
folksong which used to be very well known in
Indoniésia of the old days: "Sayang kené". See
the lyrics here:
http://indonesiamusictalent.blogspot.de/2009/12/sayang-kene.html

There's another wellknown song, "Rasa sayang-é",
which is perhaps still older, as the following
youtube film suggests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4bZhZIYbwk
see also the more recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ki3C_5jM-4
Here the lyrics of the old version I knew from my
youth (there are many new versions nowadays,
Indonesian as well as Malaysian):
http://lirik.kapanlagi.com/daerah/maluku/rasa_sayange
except tht the way I remeber it, the first line
ends in "boleh beta, bertumpang mandi" instead of
"boleh kita menumpang mandi"
and instead of "lihat Ambon dari jauh" I have in
my memory "Tanah Ambon sudah jauh".

Aloha,
Waruno